Teaching Certif. Registration

Print Friendly
Important Update on Teaching Certification Registration for those holding PERMANENT, PROFESSIONAL, and TEACHING ASSISTANT Certificates     Teach Registraton

Why the requirement? A written response from a member of the Senate Education Committee told us that this was one of the compromises in the 2015 State Budget (you heard that right – the 2015 – not the 2016 budget negotiations) in order to get the budget accepted by the legislature and signed by the governor. The original requests came from the governor’s office.

All teachers who hold a Permanent Certificate (or older certificate), a Professional Certificate, or a Level III Teaching Assistant Certificate MUST establish a TEACH account if they don’t already have one, AND register to stay active, or indicate inactive. Indicate “active” if you think you might work at some point in your future! You MUST register no later than the month of your birth starting with July of 2016. There is no penalty with registering earlier but your five year renewal clock starts with your registration date! Important links appear below. Please read them as they contain much more information than we can include here. And yes, earlier certificates used your social security number and you will be asked that! Make sure you are on the secure SED website. Your local BOCES certification officer can also help you with this. Questions can be referred to the BOCES or to the Associates at SED listed at the end of the article.

NYSED Office of Teaching – Registration and CTLE (Continuing Teacher Leader Education) Requirements:

NYSED TEACH website – Registration Overview

NYSED Frequently Asked Questions regarding TEACH Registration

To actually log-in or create a TEACH account use:http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/teach/home.html

For step by step instructions, captions, and screen captures to create a TEACH accountfollow this URL address:

To see the process to REGISTER after creating your TEACH account, refer to this URL address:

NYSUT 10 things you need to know about NY’s new registration and continuing education regs with downloadable fact sheet:

FAQ 3 – RETIREES: What do we do about registering with SED?

Q1:      I am retired.  If I don’t register with the State Education Department (SED), does that mean that my permanent certificate is no longer valid?

A1:      No.  A permanent certificate is still a lifetime certificate..

Q2:      I am a permanently certified retired teacher and I currently work occasionally as a substitute teacher in a local NYS public school.  Do I need to register with SED?

A2:      Yes.  If you are working in a NYS public school or BOCES you need to register with SED.

Q3:      I am a permanently certified retired teacher and have no current plans to work in a NYS public school or BOCES.  Do I need to register with SED?

A3:      You have a choice regarding registration.  If you are fairly certain that you will not seek employment in a NYS public school or BOCES in the future, you can choose not to register.  SED will consider you as just that, ‘Not Registered.’

If you think there is a chance that you will work in a NYS public school or BOCES in the future, you can register with SED and choose to be considered “Inactive” by SED.  Inactive is defined as “The certificate holder has notified the Office of Teaching Initiatives [SED} they do not wish to be registered and are not practicing in an applicable school.”

If at any time in the future an opportunity to work in a NYS public school or BOCES comes up and you want to work, you can go into the TEACH system and change your status from “Inactive” to “Registered” or register for the first time.

Q4:      How do I register with SED?

A4:      Registration is done using the TEACH system, which is SED’s online system for certification. If you do not have a TEACH account, you can create one here.

Q5:      If I register, do I need to complete Continuing Teacher & Leader Education (CTLE) hours?

A5:      No.  This requirement does not impact permanent certificate holders. .

Finally, if you would further assistance, please call The Office of Teaching Initiatives at 518-474-3901.